XX THIS PAGE IS IN THE PROCESS OF BEING UPDATED XX
The Friends of Galveston Island State Park (FoGISP) is an all-volunteer, non-profit organization with the following mission and vision:
The Mission of FoGISP is to promote the interests of the Park and its users
through volunteer work, fundraising and stimulating community interest in the Park.
Our Vision is that Galveston Island State Park be recognized as a model state park and
a Natural Learning Laboratory known for its innovative, interactive and fun approach to education.
We take this mission and vision very seriously:
- Volunteer work: We log thousands of hours every year conducting beach and bay explorations, staffing the Nature Learning Center, supporting field trips, leading kayak tours, restoring the Park, and more. For more information, see Volunteering.
- Fundraising: We hold annual and ongoing membership drives in order to fund our activities. For information on joining us or making a contribution, see Support us.
- Stimulating community interest: We take a broad approach to stimulating community interest in the Park. For example, in 2013 we created a Friends of Galveston Island State Park Facebook page; in 2014, we launched this website. We also publicize activities on Galveston.com and in the Daily News.
In financial year 2015/2016, FoGISP achieved the following:
- Hosted our seventh annual Fun Run in January, with more than XXX participants
- Hosted our third annual Beach and Bay Day, a resounding success that attracted over XXXX visitors to the Park, along with XX volunteers
- Hosted our fifteenth annual Camp Wild, with XX campers and a lot of exciting, new activities
- Continued the popular beach and bay explorations, kayak adventures and field trips
- Planted over XXXX native plants to help restore the Park’s ecosystems
- Donated money to the Park for a range of projects and for the purchase of much needed equipment
Where we’re going
FoGISP is always looking for ways to make the Park the best it can be. Everyone is welcome to make suggestions; if you have an idea that might enhance the Park, please contact us.