FALL NATURE WALK-ABOUT: By Friends of Galveston Island State Park
Save the date: Saturday, November 9, 2019
Come join us for a FREE Nature Walk-About at Galveston Island State Park. It will be held on the bay-side of FM 3005, near 13-Mile Road.
Take in the beauty of the unique Texas Coastal Prairie, while enjoying outdoor activities that are fun and educational for kids and adults alike. Each family will get a Park map; each child will get a Prairie Passport, with places for 26 activities to be stamped as each is completed.
Visit our Activity Center for fun and games:
- Get your face painted
- Play the Predator/Prey Survival Board Game
- Make prints of prairie plants
- Do Kids’ Crafts, including making a butterfly mask/fan, an egg-carton caterpillar, or a pipe-cleaner flower
- Learn about Prairie Oddities; for example, find out why the prairie is called “an upside-down plant community” and other interesting stuff
- Take a selfie with a giant “sunflower”
- Learn about the role fire plays in the health of our prairie
- Make seed balls to help restore our prairie
- Visit exhibits about prairie insects, amphibians, reptiles, birds, and mammals
- See a LIVE animals, including a baby alligator, turtles, snakes, and a raptor (hawk)
- Be a Nature Sleuth; learn to identify different critters by their tracks and scat
Or you can go for a Walk-About on a couple of featured trails:
- Caracara Trail: 0.5 miles: (Includes Birding and Seed Ball Throwing)
- Prairie Trail: 0.9 miles: (Includes Role of Freshwater Ponds and Seed Ball Throwing)
Registration is not necessary, but please visit our Registration/Information Table when you arrive. There you will receive your Park map and, if you have children with you, Prairie Passport(s).
Updates will be posted here and on the Friends of Galveston Island State Park Facebook page.