First Annual New Years Nature Walk-About
We’ve listened to you! The Friends of Galveston Island State Park (FoGISP) is replacing our annual Fun Run/Walk with a Nature Walk-About.
Save the date: Saturday, January 19, 2019
Start off the New Year by seeing the beauty of nature while taking part in family-friendly fun outdoor activities. The Nature Walk-About will be held at Galveston Island State Park on the bay-side of FM 3005, near 13-Mile Road. We’ll provide transportation to two of the Park’s trails [more information]:
- Duck Lake trail (0.3 miles)
- Fresh Water Pond loop (1.8 miles)
Walk as much or as little as you’d like.
Come visit and find out all about the coastal prairie! There will lots for you to do:
- Face-painting and Prairie Passports for the kids
- Children’s crafts, such as butterfly fans and masks, pipe-cleaner caterpillars and flowers, prairie art, and pine-cone bird feeders
- The Owl-Prowl Olympics
- Make seed-balls and throw them on the prairie
- Upside-down plant community exhibit
- Bees and butterflies exhibits
- Raptors and reptiles exhibits
You can download a poster here.
The Walk-About is FREE and starts at 8:00am – come when you’re ready! The event ends at 1:00pm. T-shirts will be given to people who register prior to January 1. There is no registration fee; however, if you’d like a T-shirt, you are encouraged to make a donation to FoGISP ($10 minimum suggested per shirt).
Park entry fees are waived for the morning of the event and a light breakfast will be served starting at 8:15am.
To register for the Walk-About, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you’d like a T-shirt, print this form and mail it back to us.
Updates will be posted here and on the Friends of Galveston Island State Park Facebook page.