You could become a FoGISP volunteer and support one or more of the education, outreach or conservation activities we conduct at Galveston Island State Park. These activities include:
- A team of trained volunteers conducts beach and bay explorations for Park visitors every weekend during March — November.
- During the same time-frame, volunteers staff the Nature Learning Center and interact with Park visitors.
- One week every year, volunteers are needed to support Camp Wild, our nature-related day camp for local-area children (see Camp Wild).
- Volunteers are also needed to help run field trips for diverse groups such as Galveston- and Houston-area school children, scouts, and members of the Galveston Bay Area — Texas Master Naturalist.
- We have work days (every other Monday) during which you help restore the Park; for example, volunteers are often needed to pot or plant dune and prairie plants. FoGISP has funded the construction of a greenhouse and covered area to better support these efforts. See Work days.
- We need volunteers for annual events such as the Fun Run, Come Out and Play Day, and Camp Wild.
Does any of this sound like something you’d be interested in doing? Or do you have particular skills that might open up a new volunteering opportunity?
Please contact us for more information.